CIRCLE - Circular Innovation and Resilient City Labs in the Adrion Region
The Institute AEIPLOUS is a partner in the project CIRCLE”, to promote models of waste management/recycling based on a strongest and diffuse implementation of the circular economy’s principles in the Adrion region, thanks to planning and implementation of a collaborative approach. Promotion of circular economy (from cradle to cradle, instead of linear model from cradle to grave) is foundation of effective models of good waste management/ recycling. Duration: 1/2/2020 – 31/7/2022.
CIRCLE - Circular Innovation and Resilient City Labs in the Adrion Region is a project funded by the INTERREG ADRION Programme (European Regional Development Funds, ERDF: 85%) and Greek National Resources (15%).
Project overall objective
To promote models of waste management/recycling based on a strongest and diffuse implementation of the circular economy’s principles in the Adrion region, thanks to planning and implementation of a collaborative approach. Promotion of circular economy (from cradle to cradle, instead of linear model from cradle to grave) is foundation of effective models of good waste management/ recycling. In CIRCLE’s territories is a great opportunity both for environmental remediation and mitigation of climate change as well as for creation of new green businesses and jobs.
Project specific objective
To foster cooperation among municipalities, waste management companies, R&D centers and institutions to turn the sustainable waste management and circular economy from an abstract concept to concrete innovative waste management models and practices.
CIRCLE aims at increasing and spread knowledge on practical viability of circular
economy principles, through a collaborative approach involving innovation producers (R&D and innovation public and private centers), business actors (companies, services and utility providers), administrative and financial organisms (regional and local authorities, banks), as well as civil society within urban areas. CIRCLE will plan and develop Circular Innovation Resilient Cities Labs (CIRCLabs), through which to design and test circular models focused on 4 pilot fields.
Although circular economy concept is widely promoted by EU and scientists, it still
remains a broad concept, its boundaries are very wide, its compactness and practical
viability are far from being fully perceived by institutions, economic actors and local communities.
To foster knowledge and support towards the practical implementation of sustainable waste management models, project will develop Circular Innovation Resilient Cities Labs (CIRCLabs), through which to design and test circular models based on collaborative and multidisciplinary approach involving targeted stakeholders. CIRCLabs will be jointly designed after analyzing the most effective models in this field at EU level. Main pilot activities of CIRCLabs’ are divided into:
- industrial symbiosis (transformation of waste materials produced from some industries into usable materials for others)
- organic wastes: they can largely be recovered for various applications (e.g. biogas, composting)
- electronic and electrical equipment wastes (WEEE): valuable materials, e.g. copper, can be recycled
- construction and demolition wastes (CDW), from which recycled aggregates, recycled feed, re-used bricks, plastic-board can be obtained.
- To plan, develop, and then network through a permanent formally established transnational association, CIRCLabs, focused on differentiated targets mirroring specific fields of activity, through which to design and test circular models in the urban areas concerned.
- A final transnational action plan, which will contain a list of concrete projects, creatively designed by CIRCLabs themselves for each of the four selected pilot fields of activity, embryos of wider capacities of the organizations concerned to implement the circular economy.
- Municipality of Forlì – ITALY (Coordinator)
- Romagna Tech – ITALY
- School Center Velenje - SLOVENIA
- RDA of Northern Primorska Ltd. Nova Gorica - SLOVENIA
- Regional development agency Međimurje REDEA Ltd. - CROATIA
- Energo-data - CROATIA
- Anatoliki S.A Development Agency of Eastern Thessaloniki's Local Authorities – GREECE
- Institute for Innovation and Sustainable Development- AEIPLOUS - GREECE
- Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund of the Republic of Srpska - BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
- Municipality of Laktasi - BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
- Faculty of Applied Ecology - Futura - SERBIA
- Regional Agency for Socio – Economic Development – Banat Ltd - SERBIA
- Municipality of Ulcinj – MONTENEGRO
- Municipality of Tirana - ALBANIA
Maria P. Efstathiou
Communication expert for CIRCLE
Tel.: +30 2610 911571
For more information: https://circle.adrioninterreg.eu/