Fostering A Citizen's Europe-FACE
The project FACE-Fostering A Citizen's Europe is co-financed by the European Union and is implemented within the frames or the Europe for Citizen's Programme 2007-2013 and specifically through Action 2 – Active Civil Society in Europe, Measure 3 – Support for projects initiated by civil society organisations.
Duration of the project: 01/08/2012 until 17/05/2013
At the project participate partners (non- profit organizations) from 5 EU countries who represent existing networks of community practitioners working with groups of citizens in each locality and which have existing local success in mobilising communities to identify key local priorities in individual neighborhoods.
- LOCALITY-Nationwide movement of communities ambitious for change (lead partner), London,UK www.locality.org.uk
- Landelijk Samenwerkingsverband Aandachtswijken (LSA)- National platform for local people working together to improve living standards in their own neighbourhoods. Utrecht, Netherlands www.lsabewoners.nl
- AEIPLOUS-Institute for Innovation and Sustainable Development. Patras, Western Greece, Greece www.aeiplous.org
- Finnish Federation of Settlements (SSL) – Life course-organisation which does cultural- and social work.. Etelä-Suomi Region, Finland www.setlementti-fi.directo.fi
- Fritidsforum- National Association hosting Youth, Neighbouhood and Community Centers. Stockholm, Sweden www.fritidsforum.se
Objectives of the project
- Give citizen the opportunity to interact and participate in constructing a tighter-knit Europe, which is democratic and world-oriented, united and enriched by its cultural diversity, thus developing citizenship of the European Union.
- Develop a sense of European identity, based on common values, history and culture.
- Foster a sense of ownership of the European Union among its citizens.
- Enhance tolerance and mutual understanding between European citizens, respecting and promoting cultural and linguistic diversity, while contributing to intercultural dialogue.
Specific aims of the project
- Fostering action, debate and reflection on European citizenship and democracy, shared values, common history and culture through cooperation within civil society organisations at European level.
- Encouraging interaction between citizens and civil society organisations from all participating countries
- The project activity will consolidate existing learning in each locality by linking to the network of transnational partners to learn from each other about what works in each country and what is transferable (e.g. social investment models such as Big Society Capital in the UK) via study visits and peer review feedback allowing for existing learning to be improved, identifying additional skills needs and improving the local situation regarding community empowerment and citizenship
- The identification of key stakeholders, policy makers and decision makers, at the local, regional, national and then together as a partnership, at the European level to influence change
- Greater understanding of policy and democracy at the European level and how this relates to local priorities for action
- Individual and organisational learning and training through involvement in the project activities eg peer reviews and also through volunteering opportunties to be provided in the partner organisations via other projects including Grundtvig Senior Volunteers
- The creation of a work programme for future action upon completion of the project's activities
- Significantly increasing awareness amongst the wider public of their opportunities to shape future policy by becoming engaged in volunteering and community development, further increasing the sector's membership, its voice and its democratic legitimacy
- The development of a phase two project, to be submitted via Europe for Citizens Action 1, Measure 2.1, to build on the capacity developed in his project to take the work programme further, to facilitate the engagement of new partners and enable the development of European Strategy for a community enterprise response
- The formation of a formal network at the European level in phase 2, to bring partners together through an extension of the Finnish & Swedish model, to create a European Federation of Settlements and to act as a formal channel into EU decision making, to facilitate an effective voice for the retention of high quality services identified and delivered via its members.
FACE GR questionnaires evaluation